Telematics is the joint science of telecommunications and informatics applied in wireless technologies and computational systems.
For most insurance purposes, telematics is short for vehicle telematics, referring to automation in cars and other vehicles. GPS navigation, integrated hands-free cell phones, wireless safety communications and automatic driving assistance systems are all covered under the telematics umbrella. Insurance-related applications of telematics have evolved, including vehicle and container tracking, fleet management, satellite navigation, wireless vehicle safety communications, emergency warning systems, intelligent vehicle technologies and more.
The ability to monitor and track driving characteristics and driver behaviours provides the basis for Pay As You Drive (PAYD) or Usage-Based Insurance (UBI). Telematics would be a component of self-drive cars (SDC).
- Roost Now Shipping Protection360 Commercial Property Telematics Service24/7 service delivers real-time property alerts & verification Sunnyvale, CA (Nov. 7, 2019) – Roost®, the global leader in Property Telematics for P&C insurance carriers, today announced that it is now shipping its highly anticipated Protection360 Commercial Property Telematics Service. ...
News and Articles
- Roost Now Shipping Protection360 Commercial Property Telematics Service
- Swiss Re and Pioneer to launch innovative telematics solution for insurers
- IMS Demonstrates Insurance Telematics First With Crash Reduction, Combined Ratio Improvement
- Daimler begins testing autonomous trucks on public roads
- Mobility Pipe Dreams? Consumer Confidence Shaky About The Future
- Driverless cars working together can speed up traffic by 35 percent
- Munich Re and The Floow Enter Global Telematics Agreement
- Zendrive: Easy-to-Use Telematics Solutions for Commercial Insurance Carriers
- Enterprise Holdings Announces Vehicle-Subscription Service Program
- The Future of Connected & Autonomous Vehicles: Practical Implications and Strategic Considerations