Telematics is the joint science of telecommunications and informatics applied in wireless technologies and computational systems.
For most insurance purposes, telematics is short for vehicle telematics, referring to automation in cars and other vehicles. GPS navigation, integrated hands-free cell phones, wireless safety communications and automatic driving assistance systems are all covered under the telematics umbrella. Insurance-related applications of telematics have evolved, including vehicle and container tracking, fleet management, satellite navigation, wireless vehicle safety communications, emergency warning systems, intelligent vehicle technologies and more.
The ability to monitor and track driving characteristics and driver behaviours provides the basis for Pay As You Drive (PAYD) or Usage-Based Insurance (UBI). Telematics would be a component of self-drive cars (SDC).
- IMS Brings Carrot UBI Platform to North American InsurersApproach focused on engagement & rewards already proven to deliver increased customer participation, better insurance outcomes, and safer drivers Waterloo, ON (Jan. 21, 2020) – IMS, a subsidiary of Trak Global Group (TGG), one of the world’s top three providers of connected car data solutions ...
News and Articles
- IMS Brings Carrot UBI Platform to North American Insurers
- The Future of Personal Lines Auto Insurance Through Telematics
- Roost Now Shipping Protection360 Commercial Property Telematics Service
- Swiss Re and Pioneer to launch innovative telematics solution for insurers
- IMS Demonstrates Insurance Telematics First With Crash Reduction, Combined Ratio Improvement
- Daimler begins testing autonomous trucks on public roads
- Mobility Pipe Dreams? Consumer Confidence Shaky About The Future
- Driverless cars working together can speed up traffic by 35 percent
- Munich Re and The Floow Enter Global Telematics Agreement
- Zendrive: Easy-to-Use Telematics Solutions for Commercial Insurance Carriers