Telematics is the joint science of telecommunications and informatics applied in wireless technologies and computational systems.
For most insurance purposes, telematics is short for vehicle telematics, referring to automation in cars and other vehicles. GPS navigation, integrated hands-free cell phones, wireless safety communications and automatic driving assistance systems are all covered under the telematics umbrella. Insurance-related applications of telematics have evolved, including vehicle and container tracking, fleet management, satellite navigation, wireless vehicle safety communications, emergency warning systems, intelligent vehicle technologies and more.
The ability to monitor and track driving characteristics and driver behaviours provides the basis for Pay As You Drive (PAYD) or Usage-Based Insurance (UBI). Telematics would be a component of self-drive cars (SDC).
- New IMS Engagement Toolset Helps Insurers Improve ROI on UBIWaterloo, ON (Nov. 24, 2020) – IMS (Insurance & Mobility Solutions), one of the world’s top three providers of connected car data solutions to insurers, mobility operators and governments, is pleased to announce the immediate availability of the IMS Engagement Toolset, a highly-configurable ...
News and Articles
- New IMS Engagement Toolset Helps Insurers Improve ROI on UBI
- Nationwide and IMS Partner on Mileage-focused Insurance Telematics Offering
- Mobility Will Change the Face of Auto Insurance: Aite Group
- Telematics Usage Growing in Insurance, Service Providers Maturing
- Ford and Verisk Collaborate to Offer Telematics Data to Insurers
- IMS Technology Powers Utah’s Road Usage Charge Program
- New IDC Forecast Shows Vehicles Will Gradually Incorporate Technologies that Lead to Autonomy
- Strategic Collaboration Between KPMG and Majesco to Accelerate Insurance Digital Transformation
- The Future of Mobility Insurance: Slice Labs Whitepaper
- Nearly Two-Thirds of U.S. Drivers Would Consider Changing to UBI