Telematics is the joint science of telecommunications and informatics applied in wireless technologies and computational systems.
For most insurance purposes, telematics is short for vehicle telematics, referring to automation in cars and other vehicles. GPS navigation, integrated hands-free cell phones, wireless safety communications and automatic driving assistance systems are all covered under the telematics umbrella. Insurance-related applications of telematics have evolved, including vehicle and container tracking, fleet management, satellite navigation, wireless vehicle safety communications, emergency warning systems, intelligent vehicle technologies and more.
The ability to monitor and track driving characteristics and driver behaviours provides the basis for Pay As You Drive (PAYD) or Usage-Based Insurance (UBI). Telematics would be a component of self-drive cars (SDC).
- Strategic Collaboration Between KPMG and Majesco to Accelerate Insurance Digital TransformationKPMG teams with Majesco to leverage Digital1st® Insurance platform to enable digital strategies and business models for insurers moving towards a Connected Enterprise Toronto, ON (Sept. 9, 2020) – Majesco, a global leader of cloud insurance software solutions for insurance business transformation, ...
News and Articles
- Strategic Collaboration Between KPMG and Majesco to Accelerate Insurance Digital Transformation
- The Future of Mobility Insurance: Slice Labs Whitepaper
- Nearly Two-Thirds of U.S. Drivers Would Consider Changing to UBI
- Global Commercial Vehicle Insurance: Why Insurers Need Telematics for Profit
- IMS Extends Telematics SDK Partnership with Onlia
- LexisNexis Telematics OnDemand Delivers Telematics at Point of Quote for the U.S. Insurance Market
- Ford and Mobileye Expand Relationship to Offer Better Camera-Based Collision Avoidance
- Will self-driving vehicles gain momentum in the wake of COVID-19?
- Root and GasBuddy partner to deliver safe driving insights and fair insurance prices
- IMS launches industry-first, claims-focused telematics solution, IMS Connected Claims, to drive loss ratio improvement for insurers