Telematics is the joint science of telecommunications and informatics applied in wireless technologies and computational systems.
For most insurance purposes, telematics is short for vehicle telematics, referring to automation in cars and other vehicles. GPS navigation, integrated hands-free cell phones, wireless safety communications and automatic driving assistance systems are all covered under the telematics umbrella. Insurance-related applications of telematics have evolved, including vehicle and container tracking, fleet management, satellite navigation, wireless vehicle safety communications, emergency warning systems, intelligent vehicle technologies and more.
The ability to monitor and track driving characteristics and driver behaviours provides the basis for Pay As You Drive (PAYD) or Usage-Based Insurance (UBI). Telematics would be a component of self-drive cars (SDC).
- IMS Announces Fully-Managed Vehicle Security Solution for Commercial FleetsNew, undetectable IMS Sleeper security hardware option enhances recovery/repatriation efforts with ease of self-installation and low cost Waterloo, ON (July 7, 2021) – IMS, the leading global vehicle and driving data business, has launched IMS Vehicle Security Solution, the industry’s only ...
News and Articles
- IMS Announces Fully-Managed Vehicle Security Solution for Commercial Fleets
- IMS Announces Try Per Mile
- CAA pay-as-you-go auto insurance sees sharp growth during lockdown
- IMS Launches Vehicle Data Exchange to Provide Complete Connectivity Service for Accessing Vehicle Data
- CCIR Releases Connected and Automated Vehicles Issues Paper
- Travelers Canada Introduces IntelliDrive®
- IMS Launches Telematics App Development Framework
- New IMS Engagement Toolset Helps Insurers Improve ROI on UBI
- Nationwide and IMS Partner on Mileage-focused Insurance Telematics Offering
- Mobility Will Change the Face of Auto Insurance: Aite Group