Telematics is the joint science of telecommunications and informatics applied in wireless technologies and computational systems.
For most insurance purposes, telematics is short for vehicle telematics, referring to automation in cars and other vehicles. GPS navigation, integrated hands-free cell phones, wireless safety communications and automatic driving assistance systems are all covered under the telematics umbrella. Insurance-related applications of telematics have evolved, including vehicle and container tracking, fleet management, satellite navigation, wireless vehicle safety communications, emergency warning systems, intelligent vehicle technologies and more.
The ability to monitor and track driving characteristics and driver behaviours provides the basis for Pay As You Drive (PAYD) or Usage-Based Insurance (UBI). Telematics would be a component of self-drive cars (SDC).
- NJM Insurance Group Selects IMS for Smartphone-based Insurance Telematics ProgramNJM also using IMS’ platform scoring models for new mobile insurance program Waterloo, ON (Aug. 28, 2018) – Intelligent Mechatronic Systems (IMS), a leading connected car services and analytics provider to insurers, governments, and enterprises, has been selected by NJM Insurance Group (NJM), one ...
News and Articles
- NJM Insurance Group Selects IMS for Smartphone-based Insurance Telematics Program
- Telematics for Commercial Vehicle Insurance: A Vendor Overview
- Number of UBI Customers Soars Past 20 Million, Driven by the Success of Mobile Insurance
- Telematics Fosters New Opportunities for Improved Customer Perception and Engagement
- 2018 Driving Behavior and Safety Insights
- TrueMotion partners with Intact Financial Corporation for Next-Generation Telematics
- CAA Insurance unveils pay-as-you-go auto insurance program
- Connected Car Data: Moving Past The Hype
- Connected-Car Insurance: The Rise of Data Exchanges
- Maven City Car Sharing Launches in Toronto