Telematics is the joint science of telecommunications and informatics applied in wireless technologies and computational systems.
For most insurance purposes, telematics is short for vehicle telematics, referring to automation in cars and other vehicles. GPS navigation, integrated hands-free cell phones, wireless safety communications and automatic driving assistance systems are all covered under the telematics umbrella. Insurance-related applications of telematics have evolved, including vehicle and container tracking, fleet management, satellite navigation, wireless vehicle safety communications, emergency warning systems, intelligent vehicle technologies and more.
The ability to monitor and track driving characteristics and driver behaviours provides the basis for Pay As You Drive (PAYD) or Usage-Based Insurance (UBI). Telematics would be a component of self-drive cars (SDC).
- Root and GasBuddy partner to deliver safe driving insights and fair insurance pricesRoot technology is creating unparalleled value to GasBuddy consumers within the GasBuddy app in a first-of-its-kind partnership Toronto, ON (June 29, 2020) – GasBuddy, the travel and navigation app that is used by more North American drivers to save money on gas, will add advanced new functionality ...
News and Articles
- Root and GasBuddy partner to deliver safe driving insights and fair insurance prices
- IMS launches industry-first, claims-focused telematics solution, IMS Connected Claims, to drive loss ratio improvement for insurers
- The New Demand for On-Demand: Slice Labs Whitepaper
- IMS announces new industry partnership with conversational AI platform provider SmarTek21
- IMS Announces Availability of Low-Cost, Quick-Start Auto UBI Program
- Root Enterprise Changes the Game For Commercial Telematics
- Amerisure and IMS Partner for Commercial, Usage-Based Insurance Telematics Program
- OCTO Telematics Powers Techpilot Project for Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
- Nuro Granted First-Ever Autonomous Vehicle Exemption by U.S. Department of Transportation
- U.S. Auto Insurance: Increase Engagement With Personalized Advice Programs