In Canada, motor vehicle insurance (including cars, trucks, motorcycles) is mandatory for the combination of the owner and the operator.
Vehicle insurance falls under provincial jurisdiction. Although the basics of liability, personal injury and property damage are all covered, insurance is different in every province. In B.C., Manitoba and Saskatchewan, most coverage is provided solely by a government insurer. In Quebec, bodily injury coverage is a government offering but the remainder is provided by the insurance industry, as is all auto insurance in the remaining provinces and territories. The features and characteristics of the insurance varies dramatically among these jurisdictions, but in all cases the insurance product is very highly-regulated.
Insurance by an appropriately licenced insurer and distributor is recognized as valid in all the Canadian provinces and territories and the United States. Drive safely; be properly insured.
- Evidence mounts for effectiveness of rear autobrakeWashington, DC (Jan. 7, 2021) – Front automatic emergency braking (AEB) systems have greater potential to save lives, but rear AEB is saving drivers the hassle and expense of many a fender bender, an updated analysis from the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) shows. Rear AEB was the standout ...
News and Articles
- Evidence mounts for effectiveness of rear autobrake
- It’s Time For Introspection About Intersections
- Canadians can now buy home and auto insurance directly from TDInsurance.com
- LowestRates.ca customers can now compare rates from Onlia, an innovative insurance company rewarding safe behaviour
- “Dear Santa: This year, I wish no one would drive impaired”
- Top 10 stolen vehicles across Canada: Insurance Bureau of Canada’s annual list reveals new trends
- Onlia Safety Index: Increase in Driving Under the Influence Anticipated this Holiday Season
- Most Canadians Say They Feel Unprepared for Winter Driving
- General Motors Aims to Transform the Auto Insurance Industry with OnStar Insurance
- Seniors driving longer? More insured vehicles!