In Canada, motor vehicle insurance (including cars, trucks, motorcycles) is mandatory for the combination of the owner and the operator.
Vehicle insurance falls under provincial jurisdiction. Although the basics of liability, personal injury and property damage are all covered, insurance is different in every province. In B.C., Manitoba and Saskatchewan, most coverage is provided solely by a government insurer. In Quebec, bodily injury coverage is a government offering but the remainder is provided by the insurance industry, as is all auto insurance in the remaining provinces and territories. The features and characteristics of the insurance varies dramatically among these jurisdictions, but in all cases the insurance product is very highly-regulated.
Insurance by an appropriately licenced insurer and distributor is recognized as valid in all the Canadian provinces and territories and the United States. Drive safely; be properly insured.
- Smaller Increase in Ontario Auto Insurance Rates in Q2 2018Toronto, ON (July 17, 2018) – Before insurance companies offering auto insurance in Ontario can change their insurance rates, they must be filed with and approved by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO). FSCO has provided an overview of the filings which were reviewed in the second ...
Serving Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British-Columbia.
Get a quote in 3 minutes and see how much you could save!
News and Articles
- Smaller Increase in Ontario Auto Insurance Rates in Q2 2018
- Average Auto Insurance Premiums by Province: IBC
- Nine in 10 drivers may be too distracted to drive safely: Allstate Canada Study
- CAA Launches Pay-As-You-Go Auto Insurance In Ontario
- More education and awareness needed as new drug-impaired driving rules take effect July 1
- Business Leaders Say Sharing Customer Insights, Technology and Industry Knowledge is Critical to Competitive Agility
- Drivers: Slow down in construction zones, or you can expect to pay up
- Impaired Drivers Increasingly Likely To Be Caught
- Keeping Pets Safe On Summer Road Trips
- Don’t make a thief’s job easy: Lock your vehicle and take your keys