Following are some questions to ask your insurance provider before you purchase or renew your insurance:
- What kind of homeowners policy do I have, and who/what is covered under it?
- How do I know if I am adequately insured?
- What is not covered in my homeowners policy? (These are called “exclusions.”)
- Do I have replacement cost? Guaranteed replacement cost?
- What are the limitations on valuables, like jewellery, silverware, and computers?
- What does my policy cover me for in terms of water damage?
- What optional coverages should I consider?
- What is my deductible? How much money can I save on my premium by choosing a higher deductible?
- What safety features can I install that will help me save money and increase my protection?
- Does the company offer 24-hour claims service?
When you have a claim...
- Am I covered? For how much? (If not, why not? Show me where in the policy it explains that.)
- Is there a deductible? How much?
- Can I get assistance right now to make temporary repairs? How do I go about arranging the repairs?
- What do I need to do to file my claim as soon as possible?
- How long will it take to settle my claim?
Please note, these questions are intended as a helpful guideline only, and are not meant to be exhaustive.
News and Articles
- Moen Unveils First-of-Its-Kind Flo Water Supply Control System at CES
- Overland flood insurance now available in Manitoba
- Storm surge insurance available for the first time ever in Quebec
- Has water damaged your home?
- On-demand insurance solution for short-term rental hosts continues rollout across Canada
- Flexible, on-demand insurance now available to homeshare and short-term rental hosts in BC, Alberta
- Canadian homesharing hosts now have a customizable on-demand insurance option
- FirstOnSite Restoration Releases Hurricane Tips for Atlantic Canada’s Residents and Businesses
- Storm surge insurance available to homeowners across Atlantic Canada for the first time
- Insurance advice for dealing with water damage