There are two major types of life insurance: term life and permanent life insurance.
Term life insurance covers you for a specific period of time, which is often a year but can be much longer. A specified amount of insurance is provided during the term for a fixed rate. At the end of the term, the coverage ceases and the policy has no value. Buy this for its lower cost to match a need which has a specific time period – the term of a mortgage, for example.
Permanent life insurance protects you for your lifetime. It can build cash value and provide a death benefit. This can be used for wealth management, estate planning, tax-advantaged investments, and more. Types of permanent insurance include whole life or endowment, universal life, and variable universal life. Buy these when there is a bigger financial need – one beyond covering a need should you die.
Your life insurance should be considered part of your overall financial plan; the amount and type of insurance should match your exposure and risks.
- Canada Protection Plan Launches Express Elite Life Insurance Plan to Simplify Application ProcessToronto, ON (May 29, 2019) – Canada Protection Plan, a leading provider of No Medical and Simplified life insurance, is pleased to announce the launch of Express Elite Term, a no-medical life insurance product. In 15 minutes or less, Canadians and newcomers with a work permit who are in excellent ...
News and Articles
- Canada Protection Plan Launches Express Elite Life Insurance Plan to Simplify Application Process
- PolicyAdvisor Launches Innovative Insurance Marketplace
- The Co-operators among the first to offer online self-serve term life insurance
- Foresters Financial announces the inclusion of a Charity Benefit provision to recent enhancements to its Advantage Plus insurance product in Canada
- Manulife Vitality program now offering Apple Watch, encouraging members to live a more active lifestyle
- Canadian Life and Health Insurance Coverage Grew in 2016
- Sun Life introduces interactive digital coach to help Clients navigate and maximize their benefits and pension plans
- Canadians Falling Short of Retirement Savings Goals
- Sun Life makes it quick and easy for Canadians to apply for life insurance online
- Canada Ranks 11th in 2017 Natixis Global Retirement Index