Cornwall, Ontario. May 27, 2010 – Today, the Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (IBAO) kicked off the 2010 R.I.D.E. Drive Safe! campaign at the Royal Canadian Air Force Association Wing 424 Club in Cornwall. IBAO is working in partnership with the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) on this campaign, established to promote safety on Ontario roadways and waterways.
Promoting boating safety is of particular importance to the OACP, especially since water activities are such a popular part of community life across Ontario. OACP provides the following tips for staying safe while boating this summer:
- Get your BOATsmart card. All operators of motorized vessels require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card. Visit BOATSmartExam.com for more information.
- Check your safety equipment.
- Know the rules of the water and know your lake. Markers and buoys indicate the most preferred and safest routes for navigation and also mark specific hazards before you head out.
- Leave a trip plan with a responsible person in case of emergency.
- Alcohol and Boating don’t mix- Ever.
- Wear a personal flotation device (PDF) or Lifejacket. Make sure everyone on the boat is fitted with an approved PDF.
- Stay safe and stay clear around dams, hydroelectric stations and surrounding waterways.
“Ontario brokers are so proud to support this campaign every year,” said IBAO CEO Randy Carroll. “Many Ontarians look forward to the boating season all year long. We want to assist in reminding them how important it is to stay safe while enjoying the fun water activities all summer long.”
Insurance brokers are known for their commitment to their community and keeping Ontarians safe. Partnering with community-minded organizations like OACP is an example of how insurance brokers look out for their community.
The Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (IBAO) is a ‘not for profit’ association that represents and serves the interests of over 11,000 independent Property & Casualty Insurance Brokers in the Province of Ontario. www.ibao.on.ca.