ICBC Provides Insurance Tips For Renting A Vehicle

VANCOUVER, July 11, 2007 – Summer has arrived, and if your vacation plans include renting a vehicle, it is important to do a little research before hitting the road. Things to consider include your current insurance coverage, additional coverage, where you will be travelling, and for how long. Making sure you have adequate insurance coverage before your trip begins is important to ensuring the protection of you and your family.

“Many motorists go to rent a vehicle not knowing what type of coverage they need, or might already have,” said Kellee Irwin, vice-president of Underwriting, Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC). “Doing a little pre-trip planning and checking with your local Autoplan broker could save you money.”

Customers who have purchased ICBC’s Roadstar or RoadsidePlus coverage already have a rental vehicle policy. ICBC also sells rental vehicle insurance policies separately for a single day or up to a year.

Whether it is through the Roadstar package, RoadsidePlus package, or purchased separately, ICBC’s rental vehicle coverage offers the following protection:

  • Collision coverage, with a $300 deductible, for damage to a rental vehicle during a crash.
  • Comprehensive coverage, with a $300 deductible, for damage such as vandalism, falling or flying objects, and impact with an animal.
  • Loss of Use coverage of up to $25 per day, to a total limit of $250.
  • Payment for claims made by the rental company for loss of rental income.

If there is no other insurance coverage from any other source, or the other coverage is less than the coverage provided by your ICBC vehicle rental policy, the following coverages will also take effect:

  • Third-Party Legal Liability up to $1,000,000 ($2,000,000 under the Roadstar package). This covers property damage or injury you cause to others while driving the rental vehicle.
  • Accident benefits to people in the rented vehicle.
  • Underinsured Motorist Protection, which protects you and your family in the event the at-fault driver in the crash does not have enough insurance to pay for the claim.

The ICBC rental vehicle policy can be purchased by B.C. residents or any B.C. registered company. The policy applies throughout Canada and the United States. For more information on insurance coverage for rental vehicles, talk to your local Autoplan broker or visit

When purchasing your rental vehicle policy, it is important to list all the potential drivers. Having an unlisted driver drive the vehicle could impact your insurance coverage.

If you are involved in a crash while travelling and need to file a claim, ICBC’s Dial-A-Claim service is open 24 hours a day, including holidays. In the Lower Mainland, you can call 604-520-8222; for the rest of B.C. or out-of-province, call 1-800-910-4222. Claims can also be filed online at