Health Insurance Buying Checklist
Below are some key questions to ask your insurance provider before you purchase your health insurance.
- What does the plan cover? What does it provide that my provincial health-care plan doesn't?
- What does it not cover?
- Can I choose from among a variety of different coverages?
- What limitations or conditions apply?
- Does it cover drugs for a pre-existing condition?
- Do I need a medical examination?
- Is there a deductible? If so, how much?
- How much will my premiums go up for the same coverage as I get older?
When you have a claim...
- How do I make a claim?
- Can my health care provider bill the insurance company directly?
- If not, how long does it take for me to be reimbursed?
Please note, these questions are intended as a helpful guideline only, and are not meant to be exhaustive.
(Excerpted from The Insurance Book: What Canadians Really Need To Know Before Buying Insurance, by Sally Praskey and Helena Moncrieff)
News and Articles
- Watch your step! Falls are sending more Canadians to the hospital than ever before
- Medical Marijuana: Smoke and Mirrors or Valid Health Plan Coverage?
- Sun Life Offers Virtual Doctor On Demand
- Sun Life’s digital coach — Ella — now available to all Canadians
- SSQ Insurance takes another step toward health and wellness with its new telemedicine service
- Canadians Struggle to Discuss Financial Challenges Due to Shame and Embarrassment
- Insurer, University Partner to Study Internet-Delivered Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- The Edge Benefits Announces a Game Changing New Health and Dental Plan
- Canadians Are In The Dark About Managing The Care And Finances Of Their Aging Parents
- The Edge Benefits Announces a National Distribution Alliance