Health Insurance Buying Checklist
Below are some key questions to ask your insurance provider before you purchase your health insurance.
- What does the plan cover? What does it provide that my provincial health-care plan doesn't?
- What does it not cover?
- Can I choose from among a variety of different coverages?
- What limitations or conditions apply?
- Does it cover drugs for a pre-existing condition?
- Do I need a medical examination?
- Is there a deductible? If so, how much?
- How much will my premiums go up for the same coverage as I get older?
When you have a claim...
- How do I make a claim?
- Can my health care provider bill the insurance company directly?
- If not, how long does it take for me to be reimbursed?
Please note, these questions are intended as a helpful guideline only, and are not meant to be exhaustive.
(Excerpted from The Insurance Book: What Canadians Really Need To Know Before Buying Insurance, by Sally Praskey and Helena Moncrieff)
News and Articles
- U.S. consumers say they are more likely to participate in a fitness routine if they can socialize, earn financial incentives
- PolicyAdvisor launches first-of-its-kind online disability insurance tool for Canadians
- Matrix Labour Leasing Partners with Besurance Corporation to launch Free Health and Wellness Program to Clients, Colleagues, and Employees
- Health Insurance Coverage For Diabetics
- Sun Life Financial launches first-of-its-kind digital health network to help Canadians live healthier lives
- Canadian Junior Hockey League players face off against concussions
- University of Guelph students to pilot new crisis text line
- All Canadians must have access to prescription medications at fair cost: FCCQ
- Watch your step! Falls are sending more Canadians to the hospital than ever before
- Medical Marijuana: Smoke and Mirrors or Valid Health Plan Coverage?