Health Insurance Buying Checklist
Below are some key questions to ask your insurance provider before you purchase your health insurance.
- What does the plan cover? What does it provide that my provincial health-care plan doesn't?
- What does it not cover?
- Can I choose from among a variety of different coverages?
- What limitations or conditions apply?
- Does it cover drugs for a pre-existing condition?
- Do I need a medical examination?
- Is there a deductible? If so, how much?
- How much will my premiums go up for the same coverage as I get older?
When you have a claim...
- How do I make a claim?
- Can my health care provider bill the insurance company directly?
- If not, how long does it take for me to be reimbursed?
Please note, these questions are intended as a helpful guideline only, and are not meant to be exhaustive.
(Excerpted from The Insurance Book: What Canadians Really Need To Know Before Buying Insurance, by Sally Praskey and Helena Moncrieff)
News and Articles
- Nearly half of all Canadians feel less financially secure due to COVID-19
- Sunnybrook and Lumino Health connect patients to local health care providers
- Many Canadians relying on family and friends for mental health support during COVID-19
- Sun Life and Teladoc Health bring Mental Health Navigator to Canadian Clients
- As provinces re-open, Canadians wary of hands-on healthcare – but bullish on new virtual options
- Social isolation taking a toll on Canadians’ mental health
- Ecclesiastical shares best practices for disinfecting premises
- Protecting Our Children During Lockdown: Webinar by Player’s Health
- EQ Care to power Hub International’s Health and Wellness Platform
- AIR Worldwide Updates COVID-19 Estimates