Toronto, ON (Jan. 26, 2018) – Over the last two years, OTIP embraced a journey of Capturing the Digital Age Customer. This came with a significant financial investment and organizational commitment to challenge the status quo and commit a 40-year-old brokerage to work differently. A new open-space office was opened in Cambridge, Ontario – home to our Innovation Hub. The Hub was given a mandate to establish core agile practices with an innovative mindset to succeed or fail fast capturing the hearts and minds of the digital customer.
Several technology platforms formed a new digital channel allowing our customers the flexibility to interact with us in their preferred way. The customer engagement and digital marketing foundation was built by implementing the following technologies:
- Salesforce.com – customer engagement through digital marketing journeys, lead management for sales, and submission of service requests;
- Applied Epic – the brokerage management system that holds policy data and facilitates accounting;
- Robotic automation – automation of administrative processes;
- Consumer facing tools:
- Mobile enabled websites – provide targeted online experience on any mobile device;
- Online chat – helps our target audience (educators) chat with us when calling might be a challenge;
- Mobile OTIP self service app – access to pink slips, policy summary data, and claim initiation process on mobile phones;
- Kanetix online quoting solutions – ability to obtain premium data online through a quick quote or detailed quote for home and auto coverage.
This approach represents our holistic view of the customers journey carefully designed by building a multi-faceted experience capturing the essence of customer needs when buying and owning a home or auto insurance policy – from engaging the customer through digital marketing, to facilitating their online shopping and research experience, to buying a policy, to servicing the policy on their smart phones or mobile devices, and automating part of the claims handling process
The focus on the digital age customer resulted in annual sales increasing by 125% compared to the average of the three years prior to the implementation of the digital channel. Not only did we manage to achieve a spectacular increase in sales, but we also improved the customer retention ratio at the same time, presently at 94%. Over 19,000 claims were processed into Guidewire through robotic automation, hence creating more capacity for staff to focus on customer relationships.
In addition, there are 2,700 customers who signed up for the Mobile OTIP self service app and are able to access their pink slips, coverage summary, and initiate a claim submission process on their mobile phones. There were 87,000 sessions originated on the new sales microsite and 21,500 quotes were submitted through the online quoting tool in 2017.
Based on the successful rollout of the digital platform at OTIP, we are looking to enhance the current platform and introduce similar processes in other lines of business.
About the Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan
Since 1977, OTIP has been dedicated to the Ontario Education community. Today, we offer a full range of group and individual insurance products. We work with the best insurance companies to shape and innovate new products and services focused on teachers and other educators. As a non-profit organization, the proceeds we generate are used to fund valuable member support programs. More at www.otip.com.
SOURCE: Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan (OTIP)Tags: ICTA nomination, OTIP