Guelph, ON (Apr. 3, 2014) – Ontario drivers who sign up for the en-route Auto Program™ from The Co-operators will now automatically receive a five per cent discount on their auto insurance, and could earn a discount up to 25 per cent, depending on their driving behaviour. The innovative program not only allows premiums to reflect actual driving behaviour, it also provides a wide range of personalized information online.
Using technology developed by Intelligent Mechatronic Systems (IMS), participating clients are provided with helpful information through the myenroute Dashboard including:
- Ratings based on a five-star system for each of the factors that make up the discount, so the driver is aware of what to change to earn a greater discount. These factors include: sudden braking, rapid acceleration, late night driving and distance travelled.
- Tips based on the driving data to help become a safer driver.
- Detailed information about every trip, displayed on a map.
- The vehicle’s environmental impact, including information about idling time, fuel consumption and the vehicle’s overall carbon footprint.
- The ability to set up text message or email alerts for a number of user-defined events, including exceeding a speed threshold, leaving a defined area, or driving during certain times of day or night.
- Information about the vehicle’s health and performance.
“This is an innovative tool not only to help our clients become safer drivers, but to reduce their premiums by as much as 25 per cent in the process,” said Kathy Bardswick, president and CEO of The Co-operators. “It’s a great way to learn about your own habits or, if you have young drivers in the home, to monitor their driving and help keep them safe behind the wheel.”
A small wireless device installed in the vehicle tracks its use in real time. The Co-operators uses the information related to sudden braking, sudden acceleration, time of day and distance driven to calculate the client’s discount. Once the device has been installed for 125 days and 1,000 km has been driven, the initial five per cent discount will be recalculated. It could rise as high as 25 per cent or reduce below five per cent, but the program will not result in premium increases.
The en-route Auto Program is available to clients of Co-operators General Insurance Company in Ontario. Existing clients can enrol online at enroute.cooperators.ca. Others may call their local Co-operators insurance advisor, visit the nearest office or get a quick quote at www.cooperators.ca.
About The Co-operators
The Co-operators Group Limited is a Canadian-owned co-operative with more than $34 billion in assets under administration. Through its group of companies it offers home, auto, life, group, travel, commercial and farm insurance, as well as investment products.
The Co-operators is well known for its community involvement and its commitment to sustainability. The Co-operators is listed among the 50 Best Employers in Canada by Aon Hewitt; Corporate Knights’ Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada; and the Top 50 Socially Responsible Corporations in Canada by Sustainalytics and Maclean’s magazine. For more information, visit www.cooperators.ca.
SOURCE: The Co-operators