Thornhill, ON (Oct. 18, 2016) – Severe thunderstorms with torrential downpours and damaging winds are more common than ever and usually occur with little to no warning. The effects of heavy rainfall can be costly and that’s why CAA Insurance Company is reminding homeowners to protect their property before a loss.
“Now is the time to review your home insurance policy to make sure you have the right coverage to safeguard your home and your valuables. Be sure to understand what is and isn’t covered and speak to an insurance advisor if you have any questions,” said Matthew Turack, President, CAA Insurance Company.
The timely reminder comes as CAA Insurance introduces new and enhanced water coverage in Ontario. As of October 15th, 2016, the new water coverage includes protection against sudden and accidental damage caused by water that enters your home from any entry point.
How to prevent water damage:
- Extend your downspouts so that rainwater flows away from your home. Maintain your eavestroughs and downspouts, and have them inspected yearly.
- Install flood shields on all basement windows above ground level.
- Ensure the grading around your yard slopes away from your home.
- Professionally installed backflow valves will help to prevent sewage back up in your home. These are designed to automatically close when they detect water trying to enter your home from the sewer, stopping potential water damage.
- Inspect the exterior foundation walls for cracks and have them repaired or filled.
If you experience flooding in your home:
- Contact your insurance company immediately. If you are insured with CAA Insurance, call 1-877-222-1717 to report your claim any time of the day or night on any day of the week.
- Have your policy number ready. This is one of the first pieces of information you’ll be asked for.
- Ask questions about your home insurance coverage and deductible.
- Document and take photos of the water damage. Adjustors will need as much information as possible.
About CAA South Central Ontario
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, travel, insurance services and member savings for our 2 million members.
Source: CAA South Central Ontario