IBC helps Canadians prepare for the risk of severe weather

Toronto, ON (June 13, 2016) – June signals both higher temperatures and increased risk of severe weather. Incidents of high winds and tornadoes are more frequent in the hotter months. Certain areas of the country, including southern Ontario, are prone to these dangerous storms.

While it’s impossible to stop such disasters from occurring, it is possible to increase your readiness. Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is reaching out to Canadians with tips and information to help them protect their properties from wind and tornado damage.

“Severe weather has become the new normal,” said Kim Donaldson, Vice-President, Ontario, IBC. “Damaging storms accompanied by thunder, lightning and high winds, can strike at any time and leave trail of destruction. It is important for Ontarians to take steps now to ensure they have the proper insurance coverage before a disaster occurs.”

IBC offers the following tips to help Ontarians prepare for the risk of severe weather:

IBC wants consumers to know that insurance typically covers wind damage but they should ask their insurance representative to confirm what losses may be covered.

  • Hail, wind, snow or rain damage to a home is typically covered. This coverage usually includes:
    • Losses caused by flying debris or falling branches or trees
    • Losses to your home and contents from water or snow entering through sudden openings caused by wind or hail.
  • Wind, hail, ice or water damage to vehicles is typically covered if you purchased comprehensive or all perils auto insurance. This coverage is not mandatory, so check your policy.
  • Wind damage to mobile homes and/or trailers may be covered. As policy wordings vary, ask your insurance representative for more information.
  • In certain circumstances, homeowners who are unable to live in their homes because of insurable damage may be entitled to living expenses.

If your property is damaged during severe weather, it is important to document any damages and check with your insurance representative as soon as possible. Most insurers have a 24-hour claims service. Be as detailed as possible when providing information.

  • List all damaged or destroyed items. If possible, assemble proofs of purchase, photos, receipts and warranties. Take photos of the damage that has occurred and keep the damaged items unless they pose a health hazard.
  • Keep all receipts related to cleanup. If you’ve been displaced, keep all of the receipts for your living expenses. Ask your insurance representative about what expenses you may be entitled to and for what period of time.

About Insurance Bureau of Canada

IBC is the national industry association representing Canada’s private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.

P&C insurance touches the lives of nearly every Canadian and plays a critical role in keeping businesses safe and the Canadian economy strong. It employs more than 120,000 Canadians, pays $8.2 billion in taxes and has a total premium base of $49 billion.

For more information, visit www.ibc.ca. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC’s Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.

Source: Insurance Bureau of Canada