California’s per-mile charging system pilot will launch July 2016
Sacramento, Calif. (Mar. 11, 2016) – Caltrans announced today that four firms have been selected to provide account management services to volunteers in the California Road Charge Pilot, which is scheduled to launch this summer.
Drivers of passenger vehicles who participate in the pilot will be able to select between Azuga and Intelligent Mechatronic Systems Inc. (IMS) to manage their road charge mileage account, or they may choose a state-run account management service, which will be supported by Arvato Mobility Solutions. Accounts for heavy vehicles will be serviced by EROAD, Inc.
These firms will offer the full range of mileage reporting options recommended by the California Transportation Commission’s Road Charge Technical Advisory Committee. These options range from low-tech options like manual odometer readings to fully automated reporting based on vehicle telematics. Azuga, IMS, and EROAD may also provide value added services such as vehicle health reports or driver-safety feedback at no cost to participants for the duration of the pilot. Pilot participants will be able to view detailed information about their account management choices starting in May and choose an account manager starting in June.
Supporting the account managers are Vehcon, Inc. and Driveway, Inc., which both provide Smartphone solutions.
Caltrans and IMS Summary Points
- After a huge success as the exclusive provider on behalf of the state in Oregon’s Road Usage Charging program, the first of its kind in North America, IMS was selected to provide services for the first California Road Charge Pilot Project.
- The California Road Charge Pilot Project represents the second, and only other current, road usage charge program in the United States – IMS has been consistently a leader in road usage charging technology, and has been selected in every active program in North America. Our unique approach to deliver a range of valuable services including our actuarial-grade usage-based insurance services, and financial-grade road usage charging services using open standards and best-in-class partners provides revenue sharing opportunities and opportunities to share program costs across multiple services.
- IMS continues to expand into new territories with their Road Usage Charging service. This service is one of several available on the Drivesync platform, allowing insurance companies to tap into IMS’ UBI and connected car services seamlessly, making it easier and more cost effective for insurers to acquire new or activate existing policyholders in UBI programs.
- “This partnership further demonstrates the value and versatility of the DriveSync® platform, delivering and providing multiple services, such as road usage charging, usage-based insurance (UBI) and young driver coaching. These services benefits governments, insurers and consumers alike”, commented Dr. Otman Basir, Founder and CEO of IMS.
- To learn more about the capabilities and benefits of the DriveSync platform visit www.intellimec.com/connected-car-vision/ for more information.
About Intelligent Mechatronic Systems (IMS)
Established in 1999, IMS is a leader in connected car technology that enables drivers to be safer, smarter and greener. The unique approach of converging in-car infotainment, automotive telematics and wireless technology has resulted in an impressive range of solutions. From insurance and government, to fleets and everyday drivers, IMS technology revolutionizes industries. For more information, visit www.intellimec.com.
Source: Intelligent Mechatronic Systems Inc.