Guelph, ON (Aug. 29, 2013) – Today, The Co-operators announced grants from its Co-operative Development Program totalling $150,000 to 14 emerging Canadian co-operatives. The recipient organizations reflect the breadth and diversity of the co-operative sector in Canada, ranging from car share co-ops to renewable energy to social services.
The program, established by The Co-operators more than 20 years ago, supports emerging and expanding Canadian co-ops that respond to the needs of their communities. Through it, co-operatives throughout the country have received more than $1.8 million to help them grow and better meet their communities’ needs.
The following co-ops received grant money, encouraging their growth and supporting their business success:
- Coopérative de solidarité Des équilibres – Montreal ($5,000)
- Réseau de la coopération du travail du Québec – Montreal ($11,615)
- Coopérative Aequitas Essences Corp. – Ottawa ($11,140)
- Dandelion Health Food Co-operative Inc. – Lanark, Ont. ($7,500)
- Wintergreen Renewable Energy Cooperative – Godfrey, Ont. ($13,000)
- Eat Local Sudbury Co-op – Sudbury, Ont. ($17,000)
- Coopérative Régionale de Moonbeam Ltée – Moonbeam, Ont. ($12,910)
- Coopérative agricole de Windsor Inc. – Windsor, Ont. ($15,000)
- Saskatoon CarShare Co-operative – Saskatoon ($10,000)
- Okanagan Car Share Co-op – Kelowna, BC ($8,000)
- Metro Vancouver City Farms Cooperative – Vancouver ($14,735)
- Shift Delivery Co-op – Vancouver ($4,100)
- SIKAT Trading Cooperative – Vancouver ($10,000)
- Victoria Women in Need Community Co-operative – Victoria ($10,000)
“Each of these organizations has a profound positive impact on its members and its community,” said Kathy Bardswick, president and CEO of The Co-operators. “They are fine examples of why it is so important to continue supporting the Canadian co-operative sector, and each demonstrates the important role co-ops play in communities.”
The Co-operative Development Program is part of The Co-operators Foundation and reflects The Co-operators commitment to supporting emerging and expanding co-operatives in Canada. The program encourages the viability and growth of co-ops that respond to the collective needs of Canadians.
About The Co-operators
The Co-operators Group Limited is a Canadian-owned co-operative with more than $36 billion in assets under administration. Through its group of companies it offers home, auto, life, group, travel, commercial and farm insurance, as well as investment products. The Co-operators is well known for its community involvement and its commitment to sustainability. The Co-operators is listed among the 50 Best Employers in Canada and Corporate Knights’ Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada. For more information visit www.cooperators.ca.