Thornhill, ON (Oct. 12, 2012) – It is a Canadian tradition for many, the winter escape away from the bitter cold temperatures and sloppy, slushy snow in exchange for palm trees, warm water and sunshine.
“Whether you head south for the winter every year or this is your first time, you can never be too prepared,” said Silvana Aceto, Media & PR Specialist, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO).
That’s why CAA SCO recommends the following tips for sun-seeking snowbirds:
Before you leave:
- Check your driver’s license, health card and passport. Make sure the documents are up to date and do not expire while you are away.
- Prep your vehicle for the road trip. Top up your fluids, test your battery, check your hoses and belts and make sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Plan your route and bring a map as a back-up to your GPS. CAA offers customized maps and TripTik route planners to help get you where you are going safely.
- Buy travel insurance because an unforeseen medical emergency can happen when you least expect it. CAA members enjoy a 5 per cent discount on any CAA travel insurance plan.
- Prepare a list of emergency contacts.
- Check the weather forecast.
On the road:
- Create a detailed travel itinerary and leave a copy at home.
- Check in regularly with family and friends to let them know where you are and when you will arrive at your destination.
- Plan to stop and stretch your legs. Take turns driving if possible.
- Carry enough cash with you in case debit and credit cards are not accepted.
- Don’t forget your CAA membership card.
About CAA SCO
CAA South Central Ontario is a not-for-profit auto club offering insurance, travel, automotive care and roadside services. There are more than 1.8 million CAA members in South Central Ontario and 5 million members in Canada. We’re more than Roadside Assistance. We’re Life-side Assistance. Visit www.caasco.com.