THORNHILL, ON, May 16, 2012 – The May long weekend is here and for many that means road trips to the family cottage or nearby campgrounds. Before you head out for the well-deserved break, keep in mind the following safety tips to help get you where you are going.
CAA South Central Ontario recommends:
- Get your battery, fluids and tire pressure checked before you leave.
- When packing the trunk, start with your largest bags, and then fill in the space around them with smaller items. And always keep the view through your back window clear. For all your travel gear including auto safety kits and tools, water bottles, maps and luggage visit a CAA Travel Store near you.
- Plan your route ahead of time and bring a map as a backup to your GPS. CAA offers customized maps and TripTik route planners to help get you where you are going safely.
- Motorists should take turns driving if possible.
- Obey the rules of the road, wear your seatbelt and don’t tailgate or speed.
- Take breaks to stretch your legs.
If you are a boater and plan on hitting the waterways this long weekend, keep in mind:
- Before you boat – make sure you have your Pleasure Craft Operator Card – it’s the law.
- Check the weather forecast before heading out on your boat.
- Make sure your boat has enough fuel for your trip.
- Have PFDs for everyone on board and wear them.
- Keep a bailing bucket, flares and a fire extinguisher on board at all times.
This long weekend, enjoy peace of mind boating with Boater Assist. CAA members earn 20 per cent in CAA Dollars with the purchase of a Boater Assist membership either by phone 1-855-262-8222 or online at www.caasco.com/boaterassis.
About The Canadian Automobile Association Insurance Company
CAA Insurance Company (Ontario) was founded in 1974 and is part of CAA South Central Ontario. With over 1.8 million Members, CAA South Central Ontario is the largest CAA Club in Canada. CAA Insurance Company (Ontario) provides auto and property insurance to clients in Ontario and the Maritimes. For more information, please visit www.caasco.com.