December 28, 2011 – In a matter of days Manitobans will be ringing in another new year. Welcome 2012! With the goal of reducing traffic collisions, deaths and injuries on our roadways this upcoming year, Manitoba Public Insurance has released its Top 10 Safe Driving Resolutions.
- 10. To yield to pedestrians and watch for cyclists
- 9. To slow down and move over when approaching an emergency vehicle or tow truck
- 8. To give myself plenty of distance between me and the vehicle in front of me
- 7. To give myself plenty of time and not to rush
- 6. To be courteous to other drivers and use my turn signals
- 5. To drive to road conditions
- 4. To always wear my seat belt and make sure everyone in my vehicle is buckled up
- 3. To never text and drive
- 2. To not let others drink and drive
- 1. To never drink and drive
“These resolutions are all achievable and easy to remember,” said Ted Hlynsky, Vice-President, Claims Control & Safety Operations, Manitoba Public Insurance.
“On a serious note, more than 100 people were killed on Manitoba roadways in 2011 – 20 more from 2010. Many of these road deaths and injuries could have been prevented had a driver changed their behaviour.
“For the one second it takes to do up a seatbelt, turn off the phone, choose not to speed or drink and drive….deaths and injuries will be reduced in our province if drivers make the right decision.”.
About Manitoba Public Insurance
Manitoba Public Insurance is a nonprofit Crown Corporation that has provided basic automobile coverage since 1971. Our services are available throughout Manitoba in claim centres and Customer Service centres. For more information, please visit www.mpi.mb.ca.