Southern Alberta windstorm: what consumers should know

EDMONTON, Nov. 28, 2011 – After a violent windstorm hit Calgary and much of southern Alberta yesterday, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is informing consumers about what they need to know if their property was affected.

“First and foremost, those affected should ensure they and their families are safe,” said Doug Noble, Vice-President, Alberta, IBC.

Noble added: “The good news is that most wind damage should be covered by insurance. Consumers whose property was affected by the storm should contact their insurance representative as soon as possible to start the claims process.”

IBC reminds consumers:

  • Most home and business insurance policies will cover damage caused by wind, including broken windows.
  • Auto policies cover wind damage if comprehensive coverage has been purchased.
  • Homeowner’s and tenant’s policies usually provide coverage for additional living expenses if a home is uninhabitable.

To facilitate claims processing, homeowners should document all property losses. And, if safe to do so, they should protect their property from further damage.

Affected residents can also call IBC’s Consumer Information Centre in Alberta at 1-800-377-6378 (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.) for answers to insurance-related questions.

About Insurance Bureau of Canada

Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national industry association representing Canada’s private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. The P&C insurance industry employs over 114,000 Canadians, pays more than $7 billion in taxes to the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and has a total premium base of $40 billion.

To view media releases and information, visit the Media Centre of IBC’s website at