Guelph, ON, July 29, 2011 – As part of its ongoing efforts to combat auto insurance fraud in Ontario, The Co-operators announced today that it has filed a Statement of Claim (SOC) with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice against five Toronto-area assessment clinics. Co-operators General Insurance Company and its subsidiary COSECO Insurance Company are seeking $7 million in damages, following more than a year of intensive investigation.
The SOC details several alleged abuses related to assessments and treatments of injured auto insurance claimants by the following defendants:
- 2171713 Ontario Inc.
- Century Diagnostic & Assessment Centre Inc.
- Fairview Assessment Centre Inc.
- M.D. Consult Inc. o/a Toronto Regional Medical Assessment Centre and Danny Grossi
- Pacific Assessment Centre Inc.
These abuses include:
- Unauthorized use of regulated health practitioners’ electronic signatures on documents such as assessments and treatment plans
- Submitting requests for assessments and treatment that clients are not aware of, which are unnecessary and/or never rendered
- Submitting invoices for payment related to assistive devices that are unnecessary and/or never purchased
The Ontario government has recently taken additional steps to help in the fight against insurance fraud, and The Co-operators has implemented new procedures and practices to detect fraudulent activity during the claims process. It has also committed additional resources and expanded its Special Investigations Unit to deter fraudulent activity. The organization will continue to work diligently to bring those responsible to justice, to ensure that clients’ premium dollars are going towards those injured in accidents, not criminal activity.
Ontario, and in particular the Greater Toronto Area, has long been a North American hotbed of fraud. It is estimated that fraud and abuse account for $1.3 billion of the $9 billion Ontario drivers pay in premiums every year. Ontario offers the richest benefits and has the most expensive auto insurance in Canada.
About The Co-operators
The Co-operators Group Limited is a Canadian-owned co-operative with more than $41 billion in assets under administration. Through its group of companies it offers home, auto, life, group, travel, commercial and farm insurance, as well as investment products. The Co-operators is well known for its community involvement and its commitment to sustainability. The Co-operators is ranked #1 among the 50 Best Corporate Citizens in Canada by Corporate Knights, and listed among the 50 Best Employers in Canada. Visit www.cooperators.ca.Tags: fraud, The Co-operators