VIN Capture uses phone’s camera to compare insurance costs; Other new services offer convenient way to buy and manage policies
Mayfield Village, Ohio — July 25, 2011 — Progressive� Insurance (NYSE: PGR) unveiled its newest mobile offerings, giving consumers even more ways to buy and manage their car insurance policies and driving habits, wherever they are, whenever they want.
More than 230 million Americans use mobile devices, and by 2014, the mobile Internet will overtake desktop Internet use. Progressive is serving its increasingly mobile customers by developing the car insurance industry’s premier mobile experience.
Customers can access exclusive mobile offerings and download the Progressive app at http://mobile.progressive.com. The app, available for both iPhone� and Google AndroidTM devices, is also available at the App Store and Android Market. The consumer research group Key Lime Interactive recently rated Progressive’s iPhone app number one for car insurance.
“We’re continuing to enhance the distinctive mobile products we offer in order to make it easier for our customers to do business with us,” said Matt Lehman, Progressive’s mobile business leader. “Our mobile and interconnected world gives us the opportunity to add more value to drivers, wherever they are. This commitment to using technology to give customers more control over their car insurance is what sets Progressive apart.”
Included among Progressive’s new and enhanced mobile services are:
- VIN Capture: Shopping for a new car? Now customers can simply take a picture of a car’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) bar code and find out what it might cost to insure it. VIN Capture can also compare the costs of insuring up to three vehicles. It’s exclusively available on the Progressive mobile app. Watch Flo demonstrate Progressive’s new VIN Capture service.
- Buy car insurance on the spot: After you’ve picked out your new car, you can buy insurance at the car lot by visiting http://mobile.progressive.com. This new functionality is available in 21 states with additional states being added throughout the year.
- SnapshotSM discount updates: New customers can enroll in Progressive’s one-of-a-kind Snapshot program. Existing customers already enrolled in Snapshot can get real-time updates on their discount wherever they are, by simply visiting http://mobile.progressive.com and logging into their policy.
- Insurance information anywhere: Wherever you go with your smartphone, your car insurance information goes with you. Go to http://mobile.progressive.com and access information such as VINs, policy dates, insurance coverages, and all vehicles listed on the policy.
- Policy changes and payments on-the-go: Drivers can easily update their address and other contact information � or even make a payment � just by going to http://mobile.progressive.com from your smartphone and clicking “Make a Payment” to pay using EZ-Pay (electronic payment processing) or an e-check.
- Severe weather text alerts: Don’t get caught in a storm. Instead, get advanced warning of bad weather by signing up for free severe-weather text alerts at http://progressive.com/weatheralerts. Subscribers receive a text message up to 30 minutes in advance when hail or other severe weather is headed their way, giving them valuable time to protect their vehicles. What’s more, subscribers also receive the latest storm watches and warnings. This is a free service, and you don’t need to be a Progressive customer to sign up.
For more on Progressive’s mobile services, go to http://www.progressive.com/resources/mobile-hub.aspx.
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies makes it easy to understand, buy and use auto insurance. Progressive offers choices so consumers can engage whenever, wherever and however it’s most convenient for them � online at progressive.com, by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, or in-person with a local agent.
Progressive offers insurance for personal and commercial autos and trucks, motorcycles, boats, recreational vehicles and homes. It’s the fourth largest auto insurer in the country, the largest seller of motorcycle insurance and a leader in commercial auto insurance. Progressive also offers car insurance online in Australia at http://www.progressiveonline.com.au.
Founded in 1937, Progressive continues its long history of challenging the insurance industry with shopping tools and services that save customers time and money, like Name Your Price�, the Snapshot DiscountSM, and a concierge level of claims service.
The Common Shares of The Progressive Corporation, the Mayfield Village, Ohio-based holding company, are publicly traded at NYSE:PGR.