February 1, 2011 – With Environment Canada issuing a storm warning across Ontario, leading home, auto and business insurer RSA wants to remind Canadians to take safety precautions in both their vehicles and homes before extreme weather strikes.
�Winter storms can sometimes leave people snowed-in at home or trapped in their vehicles, and in the event this happens, it�s very important to take the proper precautions to stay safe and warm,� says Irene Bianchi, Vice President, Claims & Corporate Services, RSA Canada. �When unexpected weather conditions hit, it is best to be prepared by driving slowly, or not at all if possible, have emergency kits on hand in both vehicles and homes.�
If you have to travel in inclement weather, RSA offers the following tips:
- Use extreme caution when travelling in your vehicle.
- If you become stuck in your vehicle due to dangerous weather conditions, remain inside and provide a signal to rescuers such as placing a brightly visible cloth in a window where it will be visible.
- Start the car once an hour and leave it running for 10 minutes. Keep the exhaust pipe clean so that fumes can escape
RSA recommends having an emergency travel kit prepared for both vehicles and homes. The vehicle kit should include:
- Flashlights and batteries
- Fully-charged cell phone
- Extra clothing � includes hats, gloves and boots
- First aid kit
- Map or GPS
- Bottled water
- Ice scraper and/or snow brush
- Extra windshield washer fluid
- Battery booster cables
- Bag of sand or salt
- Candy or chocolate bar for energy
- Paper towels
In the event of power outages or becoming snowed in, it�s wise to also have an emergency kit in the home that contains:
- Bottled water
- Flashlights/battery powered lantern
- Fully charged cell phone
- Non-perishable food items
- Essential medications
- Essential items for babies or elderly people with special needs
RSA Canada includes Roins Financial Services Limited, Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada, Quebec Assurance Company, Johnson Inc., Western Assurance Company, Ascentus Insurance Ltd., Canadian Northern Shield Insurance Company and is part of RSA Insurance Group plc. RSA Canada employs approximately 3,200 people and is represented by a large network of brokers across the country. In 2009, the Canadian Group wrote $1.9bn in direct premiums with assets exceeding $5.5 billion. Internationally, RSA Insurance Group plc employs about 21,000 people and has the capability to write business in 130 countries and in 2009 its net written premiums were �6.7bn.
RSA is a trade name of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. www.rsagroup.ca