IBAO urges Ontarians to get their car serviced in preparation for summer road travels
Toronto, June 18, 2010 – Today, the Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (IBAO) is urging Ontarians to visit their local automobile service centre to ensure their vehicle is properly serviced before embarking on summer travels.
After a rough winter on the slippery roads, it is important to check in with your mechanic to ensure that your car is in top condition for this ideal driving season.
To keep your car in peak performance, it is vital to ensure that it is properly serviced throughout the year. Maintenance includes tire checks and regular oil and fluid changes. The most important component of any vehicle, however, is the brake maintenance.
�Proper care and regular maintenance is essential to protect both yourself and others from the potential harm caused by faulty brakes,� said Randy Carroll, IBAO CEO.
Some signs that your brakes may be failing or require maintenance include:
- The brakes squeal, grind or bang when applied. If this occurs, you should immediately have your brakes checked;
- The car pulls to one side when you apply the brakes;
- The brakes stick or a loss of engine power occurs when you are driving. In such cases, your brakes may not be releasing properly, which can lead to total brake loss;
- The brakes grab when lightly applied. This could be caused by loose or broken brake parts;
- The brakes need a lot of pressure to work or the pedal needs to be near the floor before it works. This may be a sign that your brakes are worn and replacement is necessary;
- The brake pedal, steering wheel or entire car vibrates when you step on the brakes.
�We urge all Ontarians to ensure their car is fully serviced before hitting the road for any fun getaways this summer,� added Carroll. �Insurance brokers are fully committed to informing Ontarians and keeping them safe.�
The Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (IBAO) is a ‘not for profit’ association that represents and serves the interests of over 11,000 independent Property & Casualty Insurance Brokers in the Province of Ontario. www.ibao.on.ca.