Insurance Bureau of Canada urges Edmonton fire victims to speak to insurance representatives

EDMONTON, July 24, 2007 – The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) reminds homeowners and tenants affected by Saturday’s fire in south Edmonton to contact their insurance provider as soon as possible.

“This fire left many Edmontonians without a home, and it’s important that they contact their insurance company promptly,” said Jim Rivait, Vice-President, Prairies, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, IBC. “That way, we can ensure they get the help they require as soon as possible.”

Generally, homeowners and tenants insurance policies cover the cost to repair the home and replace damaged belongings. Also, if occupants have to vacate the premises due to the damage, the policy will cover the cost of temporary living expenses, such as hotel charges.

“Insurers are here to help these families recover from this devastating event, and we will strive to provide the best possible service to those who were affected by the blaze,” Rivait said.

While the cause of the blaze is still unknown, the fact that it spread from its original location at the condo development to so many neighbouring homes is troublesome. Echoing the concerns of Edmonton’s Fire Chief Randy Wolsey, Rivait said, “The safety of all Albertans is important and one way to protect them, and their homes, is to have sound building codes in place.”

Consumers requiring more information are urged to call IBC’s Consumer Information Center at 1-800-377-6378.

About Insurance Bureau of Canada:

Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national trade association of the private property and casualty insurance industry. It represents more than 90% of the non-government home, car and business insurance in Canada. For more information, visit