Insurance Bureau of Canada reminds B.C. residents to protect their belongings

Overland flooding not covered by insurance

VANCOUVER, May 22, 2007 – With spring flooding in certain areas of the province a high risk, Canada’s home, car and business insurers remind British Columbians to be proactive when protecting themselves and their homes.

First and foremost, all individuals are encouraged to take the proper measures to protect themselves and their loved ones. As well, homeowners are encouraged to take preventative action to minimize their losses and the amount of damage caused by potential floods. Homeowners should move all valuable items located in their basements to higher ground to prevent water damage.

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) reminds consumers that any damage caused by overland flooding cannot be covered by home insurance.

“The purpose of insurance is to spread risk amongst many policyholders,” said Lindsay Olson, Vice-President, British Columbia and Yukon, IBC. “But overland flooding is a risk for only a small percentage of the population — that is, those who live in a flood plain. The result is that flood insurance would be unaffordable.”

She added: “However, some potential damage from flooding may be the result of sewer back-up. Coverage for this type of damage is available, but must be purchased as an add-on to a homeowner’s policy.”

Homeowners are urged not to wait until a flood is affecting their area to review their home insurance policy and contact their insurance representative to verify what coverage they have. Also, for any questions or concerns pertaining to home, car or business insurance, please contact IBC’s Consumer Information Line at (877) 772-3777. For additional information on how to protect yourself and your homes, please visit the Provincial Emergency website at

About Insurance Bureau of Canada:

Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national trade association of the private property and casualty insurance industry. It represents more than 90% of the non-government home, car and business insurance in Canada. For more information, visit