Auto Insurance Rates for the Fourth Quarter of 2005: FSCO

Bookmark and Share

Ontario private passenger auto insurance approved rates decreased during the fourth quarter of 2005 (October 1, 2005 to December 31, 2005).

In the fourth quarter of 2005, for the 23.77% of the market that had rate changes approved, the average rate change was -2.56%, when weighted by market share.

The average rate changes approved for the first, second and third quarters of 2005 were -1.12% (representing 7.50% of the market), -1.62% (representing 45.79% of the market) and -1.62% (representing 61.82% of the market), respectively.

In 2004, rate changes approved for the entire market averaged -10.60%. For 2005, approved rates declined by 2.43% for the entire market. The combined decline in approved rates for 2004 and 2005 is 13.03%. The rate changes approved in the fourth quarter of 2005 become effective in the first quarter of 2006 for renewal business.

The approved rate change shown for each insurance company is the average for that particular company. The impact of a rate change on an individual consumer will vary depending on where the consumer lives, the type of car he or she is driving, and other risk characteristics.

The rate changes posted reflect cost saving measures arising from recent reforms to the automobile insurance system, which are being passed on to consumers in the form of lower rates.

FSCO will continue to ensure that insurance companies’ rate changes are reasonable and justified, and that the rates insurers charge are balanced with their ability to meet their future claims costs.

Ontario Private Passenger Automobile Insurance Rate Filings Approved

About FSCO

FSCO is an agency of the Ontario Ministry of Finance and regulates insurance, pensions, credit unions, caisses populaires, cooperatives, mortgage brokers, and loan and trust companies. Visit http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca for more information.