IBC: Protect your family and your property before Alberta floods occur

EDMONTON, June 7, 2005 – Insurance Bureau of Canada is advising policyholders in southern Alberta to prepare in advance of possible flooding.

“First of all, safety should be top of mind. Take precautions to ensure that your family is safe and, wherever possible, that your property is protected from damage before it ever occurs,” says Jim Rivait, Vice-President, Prairies, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, Insurance Bureau of Canada.

If flooding occurs, consumers are urged to contact their insurance company or representative as soon as possible. When in doubt, any damage should be reported to insurers and steps should be taken to limit further damage to property.

With residential insurance policies, coverage for sewer back-up may be provided; however, flooding or water seepage is generally not covered. Some commercial insurance policies may also provide limited coverage for flooding.

“In these situations, it’s best to contact your insurance professional to find out what coverage you have,” urges Rivait. “If the damage is caused by sewer backup and you have purchased that coverage, your claim will be covered,” adds Rivait.

Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national trade association of the private property and casualty insurance industry. It represents more than 90% of the non-government home, car and business insurance in Canada. To view news releases and information, visit the media section of IBC’s Web site at www.ibc.ca.