Launched in April 2003, Company Now Has 19 One-Stop Claims Service Centers That Offer “We’ll Take Care of Everything” Approach to Auto Repair
MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio, December 17, 2003 � Having a vehicle repaired following a crash can be a confusing and time-consuming process. You generally have to get quotes from several body shops, contact your insurance company, arrange for a rental car, get your car to the body shop, check on the progress of the repairs, wait for the car to be fixed, then inspect the work and drop off the rental. And that�s if everything goes well.
�It used to be that when we�d write a check for a claim, our work would end and the customer�s work would begin,� said Brian Passell, claims group president for the Progressive group of insurance companies, the third largest auto insurance group in the country. �Then we asked ourselves, �why?� and changed it all. What used to be the customer�s problems are now our problems, and that�s the way it should be.�
Progressive is the first in the industry to take responsibility for the entire vehicle repair claims process and provide customers with a simpler way of getting their cars fixed following a crash.
Here�s how the process works:
- The customer calls 1-800-PROGRESSIVE to report the claim any time of the day or night, and brings the vehicle to the new center. The centers are conveniently located for most customers in markets where Progressive has a center.
- At the claims center, the customer drops off the car, picks up a rental vehicle and leaves.
- A Progressive claims representative prepares a repair estimate and selects a repair shop that has met strict quality requirements.
- The vehicle is transported to the shop and the repairs start. The customer is kept informed of the status of the repair throughout the process.
- When the work is finished, the vehicle is transported back to the Progressive claims center.
- A Progressive claims representative and a shop representative inspect the quality of repairs and the customer is notified.
- The customer and claims representative inspect the vehicle together and the customer drives off knowing the repairs are guaranteed by the shop and Progressive for as long as the customer owns the vehicle.
Today, in 17 U.S. markets, Progressive customers and others involved with a Progressive claim have a choice�manage the repair process themselves or have Progressive claim representatives and hand-selected auto body repair shops manage it on their behalf. Progressive locates facilities closest to areas where its customers are concentrated to make the new standard of service available to as many as possible. One customer was so happy with how Progressive handled her repairs she thanked a CSC representative in Jacksonville, Fla. with a hug.
�We don�t expect hugs every time,� said Passell. �But the process is getting rave reviews, and we believe this is the future of auto insurance.�
Progressive tested the concept in seven markets before it announced its national rollout on April 8, 2003. Existing test sites included Cleveland, Ohio, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Pa., Virginia Beach, Va., Orlando, Fla., New Orleans, La, and Phoenix (Tempe), Ariz.
In 2003, Progressive opened facilities in Columbus, Ohio, two in Atlanta Ga., Washington, D.C., Richmond, Va., Tampa and Jacksonville, Fla., Dallas, Texas, two in Houston, Texas, Indianapolis, Ind., and Detroit, Mich. Progressive has plans to continue rolling our more sites in 2004.
In addition to the new claims centers providing one-stop handling of vehicle repair claims, Progressive operates more than 350 claims offices in all 50 states. Although the existing offices are not equipped to offer the one-stop service, company representatives there continue to personally handle each customer�s claim from start to finish and, in most states, offer them the choice of having the vehicle repaired in a shop where the work is guaranteed.
The Progressive group of insurance companies, in business since 1937, provides drivers with competitive rates and 24/7, in-person service. The companies, headquartered in Mayfield Village, Ohio, offer insurance by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, online at progressive.com and through more than 30,000 independent insurance agencies. The Common Shares of The Progressive Corporation, the holding company are publicly traded at NYSE: PGR. In November 2002, Progressive was hailed by Fast Company magazine as �a master of operational innovation� and in February 2003 the Company was selected as one of the magazine�s prestigious �Fast 50 Champions of Innovation.� And, according to the March 12, 2003 edition of The Investor�s Business Daily, �While claims processing is core to all insurance companies, it’s a standout for Progressive, which has used its skill in that function to become one of the most profitable firms in the industry�� More information can be found at progressive.com.