MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio – October 8, 2003 — Friday afternoon may be the start of the weekend, but it’s also the day more drivers are ending up in car crashes. A recent study of claims data by the Progressive group of insurance companies, the country’s third largest auto insurance group, found that more car crashes happen between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Friday than at any other time and day of the week.
The countrywide study analyzed more than one million crashes reported to the Company by its customers and others from January to June of 2003. Here are some of the other findings:
- Day when most crashes occur: Friday. It accounted for 16.4 percent of all crashes reported, followed by Saturday at 14.7 percent and Thursday at 14.6 percent.
- Morning rush hour crashes: More reported crashes occur on Monday between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m., followed by the same times on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Afternoon rush hour crashes: More reported crashes happen on Friday, between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., followed by Thursday and Tuesday.
- Fewest accidents occur: Fewer crashes occur on average between 4 a.m. and 5 a.m. than at any other time period. On Thursdays between 4 a.m. and 5 a.m., the least amount of reported crashes occur, followed by Tuesday and Wednesday. During daylight hours, the fewest numbers of crashes occur between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.
- Weekend Warriors: Significantly more crashes occur between 12 a.m. and 1 a.m. on Saturdays than on any other day at this time.
- Most dangerous weekend time: The most reported crashes on Saturdays and Sundays happen between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Additional findings include:
- Lunch Crunch! Lunch-time drivers may want to consider going out for lunch on Wednesday since that time period had the least number of reported crashes occurring from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., followed by Thursday and Tuesday.
- Heading For That Weekend Vacation. Drivers may want to delay leaving for weekend getaways – More than twice as many car crashes occur on Friday evenings (from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.) than on Saturday mornings (from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.).
- Beware of Sunday Drivers! Heading home after a long relaxing weekend? Be mindful that most Sunday crashes occur between 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; the fewest crashes occur on Sundays occur between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m.
The Progressive group of insurance companies, in business since 1937, provides drivers with competitive rates and 24/7, in-person service. The companies offer insurance by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, online at progressive.com and through more than 30,000 independent insurance agencies in the U.S. Providing stakeholders the information they need to make more informed decisions is a key company strategy. In 1994, Progressive became the first auto insurance company to provide its rates alongside the rates of other companies so consumers could easily compare and decide and in 2001, it became the first Fortune 500 company to report operating results monthly. The Progressive Corporation, the holding company, has headquarters in Mayfield Village, Ohio. More information can be found at progressive.com.