Insurers Responding Quickly to BC Fire Crisis: IBC

VANCOUVER, Aug. 3 2003 – BC insurers are acting quickly to assist those whose homes and businesses have been affected by the forest fires currently raging in the province, according to Insurance Bureau of Canada.

“It is important for everyone to understand that forest fires are covered by standard homeowners and business insurance policies,” says Lindsay Olson, Vice President Pacific Region for Insurance Bureau of Canada. “There is always some anxiety and confusion over this issue at times like this, and we want to assure everyone that property insurance policies in force at the time of the
loss will in fact respond to any damage.” Even if there is no loss or damage to a home or property, homeowners insurance policies may also provide some coverage for additional living expenses if the policy holder is complying with a government Evacuation order.

Once people have determined that they have had a loss, they should contact their local insurance broker. If this is not possible, but the customer knows which company with which they are insured, they may contact the company directly. If customers have any difficulty locating any of these organizations, Insurance Bureau of Canada would be pleased to be of assistance. The toll-free number for Insurance Bureau of Canada within BC is 1-877-772-3777.

“We realize that this is a time of great distress for all those affected by the fires. Our industry takes our obligations in these situations very seriously, and we will be doing everything we can to help just as quickly as possible. We responded during the Ice Storms in Eastern Canada in 1998, during the Salmon Arm fires of 1998, and we will be there again now.